Thursday, June 9, 2011

Kindergarten Communism

"[Christianity is] the best kindergarten of communism possible." - Ayn Rand

Ayn Rand and I don't see eye to eye on much, but we do have some commonality in our understanding of Christian morality.   Of course, she hated Christian morality, but that's beside the point.

We both understand that Jesus, God the Father, and the Holy Spirit are about people.  

Here is one God in three parts - whether or not you believe in God, or whether or not this trinity idea is possible, community and interconnectedness are built in to the very being of God.   And as the story goes (and I believe), God has put Himself out there on behalf of others.   And He calls Christians to do the same!

How can you be about others and hold individualism as your highest value at the same time?

Eventually, one of these is going to have to give somewhat - and I have chosen to give along my borders.   I am more than the sum of my parts, in fact my [parts] wouldn't even exist without others!

The bummer is, if I start looking toward others.   If I start offering to community - within the church, within my neighborhood and city - parts of myself that compromise my individuality, I become more about community than I am about myself.   And when that happens... it's just a slippery slope to communism.

At least that is what Ayn and I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment